FYA hiring a full-time lead organizer!
Lead Organizer, Foster Youth in Action
Reports to: Director of Programs, FYA
Hours and Compensation: Full-time exempt position: $48,000 to $54,000 plus benefits package, including health care and generous vacation
Location: FYA’s office is located in Berkeley, California, but candidates based in other locations will be considered. Monthly travel is required.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Foster Youth in Action (FYA) is seeking a Lead Organizer to connect, elevate and strengthen the organizing capacity of our growing national network of foster youth leaders and youth-led organizations across the US. The Lead Organizer will bring their expertise in organizing and commitment to youth leadership to build out our emerging national community of foster youth leaders and adult supporters, and grow the capacity and confidence of individual youth and their respective grassroots groups to organize for change in their communities and states.
- Grow our online community of youth activists and adult supporters, increasing engagement, accelerating shared learning, forging new connections, and raising up priority issues of our base using a variety of platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and SnapChat, and Medium.
- Partner with the Director of Programs to identify and recruit new FYA partners in order to grow our national network.
- Manage FYA’s Movement Builders Fellows – a cohort of young adult organizers from selected FYA partners. Responsibilities include coordinating the yearly Youth Organizing Institute, facilitating monthly community building & skill share opportunities, and providing Fellow-led trainings throughout the year.
- Plan, develop curriculum for, and co-lead occasional multi-day Youth Organizing Training Intensives for our FYA partners.
- Collaborate with FYA staff and advisory committee to carry out our yearly Leaders for Change Conference, which brings together delegations of foster youth change agents and their adult supporters from across our national network.
- Prepare and support youth consultants and trainers to collaborate with FYA staff in the design and facilitation of technical assistance and training services for our partners and other clients.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ideal candidates are those who:
- Have direct experience supporting or coordinating youth-led organizing efforts, including base building, issue identification, strategy development, and execution of campaigns;
- Uphold FYA’s vision of a just and equitable society;
- Can demonstrate success in the design and delivery of workshops and trainings for youth and/or young adults;
- Have lived experience in foster care and/or experience with child welfare systems;
- Demonstrate commitment to the philosophy of youth as leaders in deciding and advancing their own priority issues and have a passion for working with young people;
- Have strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- Are experienced social media users, with the experience and/or capability to manage, engage, build and mobilize our online community of youth leaders and allies; and
- Are disciplined, can work independently, and are goal oriented.
Submit a resume and cover letter via email to Anna Gennari at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Lead Organizer” as your subject line. No phone calls please. Deadline June 22nd, 2018 or until filled.
ABOUT FOSTER YOUTH IN ACTION
Foster Youth in Action grows a grassroots movement of powerful foster youth leaders and youth-led organizations securing local, state, and federal victories that create more just systems and equitable opportunities for the broad base of current and former youth in care. Founded in 2008 by California Youth Connection, one of the first and largest foster youth led organizations in the US, our growing national network of grassroots youth – led groups are now in twenty states. Drawing on a youth organizing framework, we train and equip foster youth to be strong leaders and organizers; grow the capacity of local groups to engage youth in working for justice; and connect a community of change agents across the country.
FYA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome & celebrate diversity. Because we work to mobilize foster youth as leaders and advocates, applicants with experience with the foster care system are strongly encouraged to apply.