About FYA Leaders United (“FYALU”)
The FYA Leaders United is FYA’s youth-led leadership committee for 15-to-24-year-olds. FYALU works on FYA’s national policy campaigns and plans the yearly DC Leaders for Change Conference. One or two reps from each of FYA’s current partners come together one to two times per month through video conference to work on these important projects. FYALU is also the primary way that FYA helps our youth leaders connect, share and learn about the advocacy they and their peers are doing in their respective home states.
- Regular attendance on our 60-90 minute video-conference meetings through end of November 2016.
- Participation in at least one additional committee (steering, campaign, or conference) – up to five one-hour committee calls
- Keeping the rep’s group up-to-date on our national campaign and conference planning
- Connecting with peers in their state group about FYALU’s national campaign priorities and what they want out of the DC Conference
- Access to a smart phone or computer with a video camera for our video conference meetings
- Current active participant in the state group you represent
A Typical FYALU Meetings
FYA’s fabulous trainer Jayette Hightower will staff the team. In all regular meeting, FYALU members share facilitation duties with Jayette. We usually start with icebreakers followed by updates on what each of our groups is working on. We’ll focus a good part of our meeting on our national campaign or conference plan. Then we’ll wrap up with a closing activity. We’ll mix meetings with an occasional special guest or a video. Our meetings are fun, fast-paced, and productive!
- Your name, photo and bio on the FYA website!
- Great skill building & leadership opportunity
- Connecting with lots of other young leaders
- Have a significant role in planning and leading activities at the annual DC Leaders for Change Conference
- Help set our FYA National Youth Agenda and connect with influential DC policy makers
Selection of Youth Representatives
Each current FYA partner can have one youth leader ages 15-24 serve on the FYALU team. FYA partner organizations are responsible for selecting the youth to serve. Past leadership experience is not required. We encourage partners to consider select youth reps that may not have had this type of experiences in the past. Most important is the ability of the youth rep to make a genuine effort to represent the voice of the youth in his or her group and state. Also, past FYALU members are welcome to return for an additional one-year term as mentors and supporters for the new group of youth reps. Requirements for participation apply to returning members.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is there an application to fill out?
Yes, but only for us to get contact information and a brief bio for the youth you select.
2. Who chooses the youth to serve?
Unlike last year, where we made it optional for groups to choose a youth or apply to FYA directly, FYA partners should make the decisions themselves this year to ensure that you all are selecting the person you want to represent your group.
3. Can last year’s rep on FYALU be our sole representative to FYALU?
FYA requests that you select a new youth to serve this year regardless of whether your rep from last year continues as a year-two mentor. In this way, we build a leadership pipeline and provide opportunities for new youth to assume leadership roles.
2017 Meeting Calendar
- March 9
- March 23
- April 13
- April 27
- May 11
- May 25
- June 8
- June 22
- July 13
- July 27
- August 10
- August 24
- September 14
- September 28
- October 12
- November 9