FYA hiring a Interim Executive Director
Posted on September 10, 2019
Dear friends and colleagues, FYA is seeking an interim Executive Director to support and maintain our incredible programs and network as we search for our next leader. Please find the job announcement below. Click here to download a pdf version of the announcement.
Title: Interim Executive Director
Date: September 3rd, 2019
Reports to: Chair, Board of Directors
Position Type: Six-month contract, with extensions in 30-day increments up to one year; part-time (20-30 hours per week). Position location is flexible.
Purpose: The Interim Executive Director (IED) is the temporary chief executive officer of Foster Youth in Action during the transitional time between the departure of the current Executive Director and a permanent replacement. The IED is responsible for the achievement of the organization’s mission and financial objectives. The primary goal of the IED is to ensure that the organization is in the ideal condition to attract an outstanding permanent executive director. Responsibilities include: managing the organization; overseeing our staff of two (director of programs and lead organizer) and consulting accountant; maintaining the organization’s finances; maintaining relationships with key funders and sustaining fundraising; including grant writing, report writing and donor communications; and assisting and supporting the board of directors in carrying out its oversight, fiduciary, and development obligations.
Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following: others may be assigned.
Fundraising and Financial Stability
- Maintains and builds the organization’s financial health
- Reviews, maintains, and improves organizational financial practices as needed
- Ensures adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work
- Work with the Treasurer and Board Finance Committee to monitor the organization’s finances and budgets and update budgets as needed
Fundraising and funder relations
- Manage relations with existing funders to ensure confidence and engagement
- Seek new funders for FYA programs and operations, and write grants
- Oversee report development for current grants
- Partner with program staff to ensure continuity and quality of existing programs, and that contractual deliverables are achieved
- Partner with program staff in program implementation, evaluation and administration as needed
- Maintain relationships with key program partners as needed
- Ensure that FYA values and commitments to social justice, partner engagement continue to be infused in program practices
Staff Management and Operations
- Oversee human resources, supervise the director of programs, and ensure that staff have adequate support and guidance, including work plans
- Maintain an atmosphere of trust and transparency with staff about organizational decisions and the leadership transition
- Ensure that program staff have the necessary tools, technology and material resources to complete assignments and deliverables
Board of Director Support and Development
- Staff all regular and committee meetings of the FYA Board of Directors, ensuring timely notification of meetings, distribution of board packets, and completion of follow up assignments
- Coordinate the yearly Board retreat in early winter 2020
- Keep the Board of Directors fully informed about the condition of the organization and status of the transition
- Ensure regular communications about program accomplishments, partner achievements, and other relevant updates for our network and stakeholders using our current communications channels
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to hire a new Executive Director, including: developing the search strategy; creating and posting the job description; recruiting candidates; fielding candidates; and managing the selection and interview process
- Minimum 5 year’s experience in nonprofit management, including fiscal oversight of budgets of greater than $400,000
- Commitment to our FYA values of social justice and racial equity
- Experience in transition management, ideally in partnership with a board of directors
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and fundraising
- Ability to build and support teams and facilitate collaborative decision making
- Strong multi-tasker with proven leadership and follow-through ability
- Ability to work with partners and staff using video conference technology
How to apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume, a cover letter that highlights their work or qualifications as an IED (including any specialties), and information on their pay structure to email@example.com as soon as possible and before September 20th, 2019.