Foster Youth in Action believes in the power of the foster youth voice. Founded by California Youth Connection in 2008, Foster Youth in Action (FYA) organizes a national grassroots network of foster youth-led groups through training, leadership opportunities, shared learning, and advocacy. Now with 23 current and pending partners, FYA’s network represents more than 80% of all foster youth in care. FYA is the only national organization raising up and connecting independent, grassroots groups fighting to secure rights and opportunities that current and former foster youth deserve.
WHAT WE DO
- Through our Learning Hub, young leaders ages 14 to 24 and adult advisers connect throughout the year, strengthen their leadership and advocacy skills, educate each other on key foster youth issues, and improve program practices.
- Leaders for Change is our annual national conference in Washington, D.C. that brings together our network to collaborate, share their powerful voices with elected officials and other influencers, and to empower and prepare youth to bring the fights for systemic change back to their communities.
- Leaders United is FYA’s youth-led leadership committee for 15-to-24-year-olds. Members work on FYA’s national policy campaigns and plans the annual Leaders for Change Conference. These youth leaders meet each month to connect, share, and learn about the advocacy they and their peers are doing in their respective home states.
- Our capacity-building services support emerging foster youth-led groups get started, get organized and take action, and help established groups to improve programs and increase impact.
- We use research and communications to lift up the stories and experiences of foster youth-led action, demonstrating the value of the foster youth voice for both systemic and personal transformation.
For more information on how to join our network or support our work, please contact us today!